Thursday, October 11, 2012

Whistle While You Work

Here's the most common question I've been getting asked lately:
So like, when you work in the park...what are you going to like, do?

The different jobs are called roles and not positions, and workers are called Cast Members instead of employees! This is because the Disney experience isn't just going on rides or attractions; the entire park is considered a stage! From the moment you step foot onto Disney property, it is up to the Cast Members to bring guests the Disney magic from beginning to end!

When you apply to do the program, your interviewer will ask for your top 3-5 roles. This was something that I researched very thoroughly. I knew I would be happy with almost anything, especially the roles with a lot of guest interaction! I thought long and hard what order I was going to put my top 5 role choices in. However, it was made clear it is NOT guaranteed that I would even be placed in one of my top selections!

But guess what?!

I GOT MY #1 Role Choice!!!

Here were my top 5 choices:

#5 Character Attendant
This would be so much fun!! As a character attendant you would be hanging out with the characters and introducing the guests to the character you're with! It's perfect for someone who likes speaking in front of people, handling large crowds, and can come up with creative ways to speak on behalf of that character! My Interviewer only asked for my top 3 or 4 so I didn't end up asking for this role.

#4/#3 Quick Service or Full Service Food and Beverage
I have restaurant experience so this would feel right at home to me! I love everything about working in a restaurant: cooking the food, taking orders, and even dishwashing! I told my interviewer I would be open to doing Quick Service or Full Service. 

Quick Service includes working food courts or working at restaurants such as Dino Diner, Pizza Planet, Main Street Bakery, etc. Full Service is more of the types of restaurants you would expect to find in Downtown Disney and restaurants like Chef Mickey's or Hollywood & Vine.

#2 Attractions
How cool would it be to operate a ride?! It's something I've never done before! You would get assigned an attraction during training, and it could be anything! So that means you could be one of the people who does a ride with a spiel like Great Movie Ride and you would perform in front of guests! If I had the choice I'd probably pick Splash Mountain because it's my favorite :)


And now the moment you've all been waiting for!!






If I could have any role, any role at all....







which happens to be the one I'm doing....




it....





would.....





be....



#1 CUSTODIAL!!!

Photobucket

"WHAT?! WHY WOULD YOU POSSIBLY WANT THAT?!"

Yes, it is a job where I'll have to pick up trash, clean bathrooms, and wipe tables. All things which I have done in the past with my other jobs.

But what people don not realize is that Custodial is EXTREMELY guest interactive. My interviewer was impressed that I knew this, and I told her I was a very approachable person! Think about it, Custodial Cast Members are the ones out in the parks and available to guests if they need directions, their picture taken, or were wondering what time the 3:00 parade starts...

This blog calls Custodial:
"A walking, talking information booth with a smile"

I read so many other Disney blogs that wrote about how much they LOVED doing Custodial!! Custodial allows you to have more freedom compared to other roles. I'm so excited to do it and to be able to wander around and explore the park while doing my job! While picking up trash and wiping off tables of course...

Plus Custodial could do water art around the parks which I hope they still do when I'm there!


Fun Fact! The reason why Custodial's uniforms are white/light blue is because they are neutral to the different parks and lands, so the theme isn't ruined when Custodians travel from land to land!

No comments:

Post a Comment