Monday, October 8, 2012

Conquering FOMO

To some friends and family, me doing the Disney College Program seemed a little sudden. And to be honest, it was sudden for me too!  I’ve known about the program since I came to college, and maybe even a little bit before then. But I have always had a small case of fomo (fear of missing out) if I were to go away during the school year. I love everything about the University of Arizona so much; I had always put in my mind that I would study abroad over summer so I wouldn’t miss anything or anyone.

But you see, my dream is to work for Disney after college. Of course I have other post-grad plans, just in case, such as working for the government (I’m a polisci major) or becoming a history teacher. However my passion clearly lies with Disney, and I want to see how far I can grow within the Walt Disney Company.

A while ago, I learned from talking to a Cast Member (aka Disney employee) on one of my many trips to the parks that you could apply for the DCP in your second semester of your college senior year and do it right after you graduate. With my fomo, this was great news to me!


Every year the UofA holds an Involvement Fair where clubs and organizations set up booths for students to bop around and sign up if they’re interested. I went on a whim after class, and long story short, there was a DCP booth. I told the campus rep that I was interested in doing it after graduation, and he gave me advice to apply to both parks to maximize the chance of getting in. He also said that Disney hires within the college program, so you’re more likely to get a job after you graduate if you do it! Then we talked about the parks a little bit, you know, hidden mickeys, the new fantasyland and Cars land, favorite rides, the good stuff. And that was it! I knew I wasn’t applying until next year so I didn’t want spend too much time asking questions.


But like most of my great plans, they change. Fast forward a couple weeks, and I’m on Facebook and I see one of my friends pictures (shout out to Jill Rovner!) of her on the program! Let me tell you, it just looked like SO. MUCH. FUN! That’s when I thought to myself, WHY THE HECK AM I WAITING?! Screw fomo, I want to go to Disney World! So I messaged her asking how she liked it and about the application process. I decided to apply that day, and never looked back!

No comments:

Post a Comment